Monday, March 8, 2010

My inspiration...Music Video concepts

I am one of those people who listens to music in the car, while on my computer, and any time in between.  Whenever possible I will go onto YouTube and find interesting music videos and try to take inspiration from them in my film making.  I have an obsession with the 'in your face' concept where the camera gets up close and personal with the band, especially the lead singer.  I have lately taken inspiration from a director by the name of Jesse Davey.  He directed "Hollywood Whore" by Papa Roach, "Forever May You Run" by Gavin Rossdale, and a few videos from the Davey Brothers.   I love the fact that he can direct such a dark, rock video and turn around to direct something like Gavin Rossdale's 100% contrasted video.  They literally are black and white.  There is a twisted sense of comedy in both music videos, though.  Jacoby from Papa Roach makes a lot of exaggerated facial expressions to the camera to show the twisted reality of these "Hollywood Whores".  Gavin's video is a stark contrast with the main character (Is that Gavin? I don't keep up with who he is, I just enjoy his voice...) being a good Samaritan but seeming crazy for it.  You'll see what I mean if you watch the video below.  Both videos are fast paced, even though the songs may  not be. 

Admittedly, I do prefer the Papa Roach video because I love the dark, grittiness of it.  I try to model my own videos that I produce after such a concept, which lately has been leading me to a lot of black and white work.  Once again, that contrast between light and dark emerges. 


Hollywood Whore

Papa Roach | MySpace Music Videos





I don't really have too much to say today, so have fun watching the music videos!

No comments: